Discussion Forum- Assessment OF Learning

Lesson 1.4

Lesson 1.4

by Malaika Hodelin -
Number of replies: 8

What advice would you give to a classmate who confessed that they are struggling with meeting their deadlines for this course because they don't see the purpose of any of the activities? 

(Remember that you need to show an understanding of the importance of literacy as well as an understanding of good study skills) 

54 words

In reply to Malaika Hodelin

Re: Lesson 1.4

by Xinling (Poca) Wang -
I suggested that he make a time schedule, record the things he needs to do, and remind himself of the unfinished things at all times, because I usually record the deadline of all things in my calendar and turn on the reminder.

42 words

In reply to Xinling (Poca) Wang

by Jingzhe (Jessica) Shi -
It is a good idea, but I think it might be a little impractical. Nowadays, most people tend to open their phones and check whether they have any notifications on social media. After having conversations with others, it is easy to get carried away by other social media platforms and stuff like that. This can lead to students spending a lot of time struggling to meet deadlines.

67 words

by Jingyan (Yan) Luo -
I think anything should not be too utilitarian to learn. Any experience becomes part of learning, part of broadening your horizons. Quantitative change leads to qualitative change, and although you may not see the results now, over time every aspect of your life will improve.

45 words

by Shangman Gao -
I suggest to my classmates who are struggling with the deadlines that they would better make a plan for finishing those tasks. For example, they could make a plan for everyday learning, and mark done after completing it. It will bring lots of feelings of achievement. If they don't understand the purpose of the activities, they could try to ask their teacher or read the guidelines carefully in advance so that they could finish tasks on time.

77 words

In reply to Shangman Gao

Although I totally agree with what you wrote, I think a reminder from the teacher 2 or 3 days before the deadline while she has everyone's attention would be most efficient.

31 words

I suggest finishing the task by scheduling time, consulting peers, and arranging a meeting with the teacher.

17 words

by Xiyue (Serena) Shen -
I'll encourage the classmates to talk about why they don't find the activities meaningful. Maybe if they understand why they're doing them, they'll feel more motivated. If not, suggest focusing on smaller tasks to make deadlines feel less overwhelming.

39 words

by Yingjie (Jay) Huang -
In my opinion, I think we can start by validating their feelings. It’s common for students to sometimes feel disconnected from the coursework if they don't see its immediate relevance. You might say, "It sounds like you're feeling overwhelmed and disconnected from the course content, which is totally understandable." Literacy is not just about reading and writing, it's about understanding and interpreting information, which is crucial for solving problems and making informed decisions. Discussing how literacy can help them think critically about real world problems might motivate our classmate to engage more with their assignments.

95 words