Act II, Scene ii Questions

Andy

Andy

by Xiaopeng (Andy) Zhang -
Number of replies: 0

1. Provide a quote that illustrates Beneatha's estimation of George. How does Mama respond to Beneatha's dismay? What new dynamic do we see between Beneatha and Mama?**

Quote: "George Murchison! I wouldn’t marry him if he was Adam and I was Eve!" 

Mama responds to Beneatha's dismay by expressing her concern for Beneatha's future and emphasizing the importance of finding a man with good character. The new dynamic we see is Mama beginning to understand and respect Beneatha's desires for independence and identity, rather than just focusing on traditional values.

a. Enthusiastic: Showing intense and eager enjoyment, interest, or approval.

b. Overbearing: Unpleasantly or arrogantly domineering.

c. Sanctimonious: Making a show of being morally superior to other people.

d. Duplicitous: Deceitful; involving deceit or deception.

e. Intrusive: Causing disruption or annoyance through being unwelcome or uninvited.

f. Instigative: Tending to provoke or incite action or behavior.

g. Racist: Prejudiced against or antagonistic toward people based on their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group.

3.Quote: "I'm thirty-five years old; I been married eleven years and I got a boy who sleeps in the living room -- and all I got to give him is stories about how rich white people live."

4.Travis asking Walter if he is drunk highlights the strained and unstable nature of their family life. It shows Walter's erratic behavior and the impact it has on his son, while also indicating Travis' awareness and concern for his father's well-being, despite his young age. This interaction underscores the pressure Walter feels and the burden it places on Travis as a child witnessing his father's struggles.